Thursday, April 18, 2013

Natural Blondes

I heard a startling fact today while presenting some of my research at a research conference in Philadelphia: 

2% of the world's population is naturally blonde

I only find this shocking because it is such a low number!! Being a natural blonde and having one as a best friend had me believing that there are more of us out there. Obviously hair salons are doing a great job these days!!

I remember when I worked at a spa/salon in middle school that women would always, literally always, ask for my color. Being flattered, I would have to let them know that it is not possible since mine is all natural. However, with some research, I have found that not only is being "blonde" costly, but it does not have the best associations.

Five fun facts about being blonde:
1. In Greece, blonde hair was associated with prostitution
2. Greek dramatist Menander (342-291 B.C.) once wrote, “No chaste woman ought to make her hair yellow"
3. According to Dr. Tony Fallone (1997), being blonde is not a hair color, but a state of mind.
4. Princess Diana spent about $6,300 each year on having her hair bleached
5. Natural blonde celebrities include: Nick Carter, Dakota Fanning, Reese Witherspoon, and Ryan Phillippe


I add this quote from Marilyn because 1. she was not a natural blonde, but wore a blonde wig and refused to have other blondes on set with her, 2. because she is inspirational, and 3. I am really loving SMASH right now!! But she is right. It is better to be absolutely ridiculous and just be yourself than to be absolutely boring. So be yourself (blonde, brunette, red-head, etc.), because everyone is fabulously unique and different! Let's share our differences and never be boring.

xoxo,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment